Sodje Departs For Pastures New




Port Vale have today reluctantly had to sell star player Akpo Sodje to Championship side Sheffield Wednesday for £250,000 rising to £300,000. The player handed in a transfer request after wanting to play at a higher level, and who can blame him for bettering himself. Sodje did not disgrace himself like a certain Mr Constantine did last season, and had nothing but praise for Vale and manager Martin Foyle for developing him as a player after his move from Darlington last season. Despite his short time at Vale, Sodje's tireless displays established him as a fans' favourite, and he was named player of the year at the end of last season.
Sodje said "I'm very confident the club will get through this spell. Everyone says there's a lot of pressure, but Martin is a very good manager. As a former striker himself, he helped me throughout my time at the club to improve. I really hope the fans can give him a chance this season. He has done a lot for the club and hopefully the fans will be patient. I still think he can get the team into the play-offs. It would have been ideal to play in the Championship with Vale, but I didn't have time to wait when there was an opportunity to join Sheffield Wednesday."
Of Sodje's highlights at Vale, few fans will forget his superb four-goal haul in the 5-1 defeat of Rotherham in March - a feat which equalled a 114-year-old club record. But the imposing front man says he will look back on his whole Vale career with fondness. He said: "I loved every minute of it, from the day I arrived to the day I left. There are so many great memories for me and I can't pick one out. I just want to thank the manager and the chairman for the opportunity they gave me, and also the fans. I'm leaving on good terms and it's sad for me because I had a great time. In the end, I had to follow my dream of playing at a higher level. I'd like to think, though, that the club is getting a good deal for me and that will help them in the future."
I would like to wish Akpo all the best for the future, and I hope he has a great career ahead of him at Sheffield, I'm sure the fan's there will love him as much as we have here at the Vale. He has proved to be as much a gentleman off the pitch as on it, and he will be missed by everyone at the club.
As one door closes another one opens, and with Akpo's departure Foyle dipped into the transfer market to add two new faces to his squad. David McGoldrick has joined on loan from Southampton until Christmas and Ashley Westwood has join on a short term deal after being released from Northampton. Joe Cardle has also gone out an load to Scottish side Clyde to gain some vital first team experience.


Ashley Westwood


David McGoldrick

No comments: