Pair Leave Vale

Striker Calum Willock has turned down a new contract at Port Vale to sign for Blue Square Premier Club Stevenage. Vale manager Lee Sinnott revealed the news after watching his side blow a 2-0 half-time lead on their way to a 3-2 defeat at Carlisle this afternoon. Sinnott has also revealed he has decided not to renew midfielder Mark Salmon's loan from Wolves.
Willock's departure, after five months at Vale, makes signing a striker even more of a priority for Sinnott. He said he was keen to keep the former Brentford hit-man at Vale Park, but the deciding factor was Willock's desire to be nearer his family in the south. Willock, who has been on a short-term deal at Vale since August, decided to turn down a new 18-month contract because he wants to be closer to his three-year-old daughter in London. The striker said his decision was no reflection on Vale or Sinnott, but he felt he had to put his daughter first. He said: "I have enjoyed playing for Vale and scoring goals. But in the six months I have been here I have only seen my daughter three times, and I didn't see her over Christmas. I had to consider that, if I did sign, I would have been away for another 18 months. Myself and her mother are not together, if we were then perhaps we could have worked out some arrangement. I just want to be there more often. She is three-and-a-half and it is an age I don't want to miss."

No comments: